A market leader in the production of baby food was using a clamp style scraper system with thick, heavy steel blades. There were several issues with this type of system:
- The heavy clamped blades were released from the front of the holder, this presented a health and safety risk because there were concerns the heavy blade could fall out the front of the holder and injure an operator.
- To release the clamped blade, the operator had to unscrew numerous bolts, this was time-consuming (60 mins).
- The existing blade life was 12-18 hours, depending on product type. They produce iInfant cereal such as rice pudding and porridge is the range of product.
- The existing blades were re-grounded and re-used. This increased the risk of metal contamination in the product.
Kadant UK advised the heavy clamp holder to be converted to an AccuFlake™ PRO holder, which allows quick and easy blade changes. The blade is light, easy to handle and can be removed quickly from the end of the holder. Many Kadant UK blades are HACCP certified and provide longer life, therefore, they do not need to be re-grounded, which reduces the risk of metal contamination.
After the installation of the AccuFlake PRO holder, the customer experienced the following benefits:
- Blade removal takes less than two minutes, reduced downtime.
- Blade life has increased to 40-50 hours, depending on product type.
- Improved health and food safety.