Measurement of surface and internal properties of paper & board in order to predict the behavior in the converting process
Ultrasonic Tester for the Determination of Paper/Board Properties via Measuring the Wetting and Absorption Behavior of Liquids
- Main applications:
- Impregnating process of decor paper: impregnating resin absorption by decor papers
- Printability: effect of surface sizing and surface porosity on penetration of fountain solution or oil in the offset process
- Glueability: effect of surface sizing and surface porosity on the glueability
- Coating process:
- surface sizing and surface porosity of coating base paper surfaces
- quality of coated paper (Latex filming, coating porosity, thickness of coating layer)
- Use of test and process liquids of low to medium viscosity:
- impregnating resins
- water + Isopropylalcohol mixture
- fountain solution
- automatically calculated values
- Main user:
- Producers of paper/board
- converting industry
- chemical suppliers
- machine builders
- In a test cell, a paper sample is contacted with liquid. From the moment of contact, low-energy high-frequency ultrasound is transmitted through the sample in a Z-direction.
- While the paper absorbs the liquid, the transmission of the ultrasound undergoes characteristic changes.
- The ultrasonic signals are received by a high-sensitivity sensor for processing in the PDA.C 02 from where they are transmitted to a personal computer and displayed as an intensity - time - diagram.
From the shape of curve the following conclusions may be derived:
- All quality parameters of paper and especially those surface properties which influence the wetting and absorbtion of an appropriate test liquid.
- Quality parameters of liquids that may be characterized by means of a test paper.
- Converting behaviour of industrial paper / paperboard grades and process fluids.
- First analytical value: approx. 8 ms after liquid contact
- Measuring frequency: 1MHz or 2MHz selectable
- Measuring results: Intensity-Time-Graph, automatically calculated values
- Test liquids: water, water + Isopropylalcohol mixture, impregnating resins, organic and anorganic liquids of low to medium viscosity
- PC software: all common operating systems
- Data structure: ASCII file
- Operating voltages: 110 V 60 Hz / 220 V 50 Hz
- Weight: approx. 15 kg
Attachment: PDA.C02 Module MST Leaflet [English] 279 kB