2 Teams from FIT and Team from Cal Poly Take Home Top Prizes
AUSTIN – The Paperboard Packaging Alliance (PPA) announced the winners of the 2022 Student Design Challenge. Student teams from the following schools were named as the top three winners:
- 1st Place: Fashion Institute of Technology, Tide
- 2nd Place: California Polytechnic State University, Froot
- 3rd Place: Fashion Institute of Technology, Duracell
This annual competition fosters awareness and appreciation of paperboard packaging with the next generation of talent. Student teams identified a real product currently on the market that isn’t packaged in paperboard. Together, they designed a new sustainable paper-based solution.
“These students are creative and savvy when it comes to the future of packaging design,” said Heidi Brock, AF&PA President and CEO. “Our Student Design Challenge emphasizes why it’s important to keep sustainability top of mind, and how we can continue to create more sustainable packaging.”
“The future is bright for our industry. Congratulations to our winners and their incredible designs,” said Ben Markens, President of the Paperboard Packaging Council. “This challenge is an opportunity to test innovative ideas and make meaningful connections with leaders from the paperboard packaging industry.”
Additional acknowledgments were announced for the following PPA Student Design Challenge entries:
- People’s Choice Award: Fashion Institute of Technology, Duracell (Award determined by popular vote at the Paperboard Packaging Council’s 2022 Fall Meeting & Leadership Conference)
- Honorable Mention: California Polytechnic State University, CRAFT
- Honorable Mention: Rochester Institute of Technology, HexRX
- Shout Out: California Polytechnic State University, Paper Play
- Shout Out: Millersville University, Stick & Seal
- Shout Out: Rochester Institute of Technology, LOL Design Doll
- Shout Out: Toronto Metropolitan University, Vitabox
The Student Design Challenge encourages university students in leading packaging and graphic design programs to show off their creative talent, design skills and innovative approaches to meet real-world customer needs and marketing scenarios.
Winners were honored October 27th, at the Hyatt Regency in Austin, TX during the Paperboard Packaging Council’s 2022 Fall Meeting & Leadership Conference, which brought together more than 230 paperboard packaging professionals. For more information and a look at the prototypes visit: paperboardpackaging.org
The American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) serves to advance U.S. paper and wood products manufacturers through fact-based public policy and marketplace advocacy. The forest products industry is circular by nature. AF&PA member companies make essential products from renewable and recycle resources, generate renewable bioenergy and are committed to continuous improvement through the industry’s sustainability initiative—Better Practices, Better Planet 2030: Sustainable Products for a Sustainable Future. The forest products industry accounts for approximately four percent of the total U.S. manufacturing GDP, manufactures nearly $300 billion in products annually and employs approximately 950,000 people. The industry meets a payroll of approximately $60 billion annually and is among the top 10 manufacturing sector employers in 45 states. Visit AF&PA online at afandpa.org or follow us on Twitter @ForestandPaper.