Paper Excellence is a diversified manufacturer of pulp and speciality, printing and writing, and packaging papers. We believe in the enduring value of wood-based products in global markets, and have built a large network of mills and chipping plants to produce them competitively. Through our distinct approach to operational excellence, we deliver high-quality and cost-effective products to international customers.
Paper Operations Manager
Our Powell River mill is looking for a Paper Operations Manager. Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for the people and processes that help us achieve our manufacturing objectives. You will work closely with other members of the operating and maintenance teams to promote world class safety, to maximize availability and efficiencies, and to optimize technological advancements.
As a member of the Senior Management Team you will:
- Assess and manage risk for the safety of mill personnel, the environment and for the business. Develop the right Safety and Environmental culture in their areas.
- Participate in the development of the mills strategic plan and support its implementation.
- Champion the development of superior ‘employee engagement’ and ‘mill reliability’.
- Provide leadership and focus on continuous improvement initiatives and change projects.
- Contribute to the mill's capital resource allocation planning and implementation.
- Ensure standardized procedures, policies and effective processes are developed, adopted and complied within their areas.
- Lead, coach and mentor direct reports to support high performance, employee development and succession planning, and support them in doing so with their reports.
- Work with other managers to maximize cross-functional effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain an operational plan for their area with on-going cost management, budget control and performance management.
- Uphold important organizational Principles and Values.
As a Paper Operations Manager you will:
- Ensure work is compliant with regulations, internal policy, and control procedures.
- Set expectations for direct reports with respect to corporate strategy, objectives, annual plans and personal behaviour.
- Effectively manage materials and supplies.
- Recognize and develop individual and team potential, and mentor the Company’s future leaders.
- Effectively manage and continuously improve the production of paper.
- Provide support to the other mills by sharing best practices.
- Provide recommendations for the development of medium- and long-term strategies, capital plans, and the yearly operating plan.
- Provide resources to assist sales and marketing in servicing customers and developing new products.
The preferred candidate will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and be registered, or eligible to register, as a professional engineer with APEGBC.
Have a bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
Have a combination of education, related work experience, knowledge and training (in the field of managing a manufacturing facility) that would be considered equivalent to the engineering requirement.
- Have experience in the pulp & paper industry.
- Have a minimum of 5 – 7 years of experience in a leadership role in a unionized industrial environment.
- Be able to monitor and evaluate programs and organizational performance in order to assess and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Have a track record of leading improvements in safety and reliability performance - using all the skills and experiences of his/her employees.
- Be familiar with P&L analysis.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Leadership Skills – Ability to create and sustain a shared commitment as it relates to strategies and tactics associated with key initiatives at the mill. You are a strong team player, are self- motivated and set clear personal standards and expectations of others for quality of work. You recognize and embrace the fact that a large part of your role is helping your team members to grow professionally, preparing them for the next steps in their careers. While pushing for continuous improvement, you very comfortably and naturally recognize others for their successes and celebrate their achievements.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills – You have an open, honest and collaborative approach to working with others. You value and recognize employee involvement as key to sustainable success in safety and operations. You have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both formally and informally. You are an active listener and have excellent presentation and facilitation skills. You seek out and values others’ input and expertise and you bring a practical approach to all you do.
- Personal Management Skills – You bring a high level of flexibility, perseverance and integrity. You are careful before saying ‘yes’ but once you make commitments, you live up to them. You are action-oriented yet thoughtful in your approach to prioritizing work. You are a disciplined at execution and stick to process.
Please apply here:
HR Advisor, Recruitment
1 250 246 6127