Roads built over weak soils reduce allowable truck payloads, inhibit vehicle traction, pose a safety hazard, and lead to higher road maintenance costs over time. Critically weak road sections also reduce transportation efficiency thus limiting access to fibre.
To address this challenge, FPInnovations has just released an online tool, FPGeoDesign, that is based on FPInnovations’ previously published Geosynthetics Design Guide: Reinforcement Solutions for Unpaved Roads.
FPGeoDesign is used to determine the required thickness of compacted aggregate when geosynthetic reinforcement is used, and to make a comparative analysis between a reinforced section and an unreinforced section. The nature and properties of the subgrade soil and aggregate base course materials as well as the expected traffic are the main inputs to the tool. Different geosynthetic reinforcement options can be compared amongst each through simplified cost analyses. Several types of geosynthetics can be compared side by side.
A one-hour online workshop demonstrating how to use the tool with practical examples that YOU can provide will be presented on September 10.
- English session: Friday September 10 at 1 p.m. EST. Register here.
- French session: Friday September 10 at 10 a.m. EST. Register here.
Target audience: Road construction and maintenance planners
Duration: 60-90 minutes
The activity is free, but you must register by September 8. A web link will then be sent to you to connect when the time comes.
Prepare your questions and your specific cases. This will be an opportunity to put the tool to the test.
For more information, please contact
How to access FPGeoDesign:
- Send a request by email to Giuseppe Costanzo at
- On your mobile device, install the Microsoft Authenticator app for Android (Google Play) or for iPhone (App Store), which is used to verify your online identity quickly and securely. The app is mandatory to access FPGeoDesign.
- You will soon receive an email from Giuseppe Costanzo asking you to accept an invitation to access an FPInnovations application. This email is legitimate and is part of the registration process to access the FPInnovations member portal.
- Once your registration is completed, go to https://fpgeodesign.fpinnovations.ca/ and log with multi-factor authentication using Microsoft authenticator.